Traduire cette page

Monday, September 22, 2014

Primera semana de trabajo

So I have just completed my first official week as a Language Teacher at Colegio Santa Ana. It was a very interesting week meeting all the students and getting a good idea of the students' grasp of the English and French languages. I am teaching students from 12 years old to 16 years old and their grasp of the languages span a wide spectrum.

In all the classes I started out with a short introduction about myself, where I am from, what I like to do in Canada, etc... Basic stuff to really get an idea of what the students understand, and how they can adjust to my accent (weird to think of this being such a major factor during conversation). After this I opened the floor to the students to ask me questions. Can you guess what the first two questions that were asked to me in every class. Alright, it may have been a little foolish of me to allow to ask the students to ask me "whatever they would like."

1. How old are you?
2. Are you single? - this question was actually asked to me mostly by boys who were put up to it by the girls sitting beside them....


So after I brush the second question off in all 22 of my classes I was able to move on to explain to the students my goals for the year and my desire for the students to try their best to converse in the language I am instructing them in.

I have a feeling that this will be interesting but I won't really get a good feeling into how the students will act until the coming weeks. I will most definitely posting updates so that you don't miss out on anything!!

Other than classes, last weekend I actually visited an authentic Arabic bathhouse. This has to be one of my top experiences in Spain so far. The arabic baths were similar to a nordic spa that we have in Canada, but the setting for these baths are all indoors in very old stone buildings with extremely ornate wood carvings. It had to be one of the most relaxing experiences I have had, and  definite must for anyone visiting Seville. My favourite part of the whole experience was the bath of 100 jets where I had to anchor myself into my chair to stay in place from all the jacuzzi jets coming from all directions. It was a full body jacuzzi that was absolutely serene.


A shot of the salt bath where you just float and little to subtle arabic music being played into the water. 

The relaxing room where I was able to enjoy some amazing fruit tea. 

Thanks again for reading and I hope everything in Canada is going well. Send me an update when you are able to.

I miss you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment