Traduire cette page

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Cadiz por el fin de semana

So this weekend, I decided that I need to get to the beach. My plans also lined up well with my good friend who I met in Seville and travelled to Morocco with, David. He had been travelling around southern Spain and decided that Cadiz was were he wanted to go next. So we got on a bus and made our way towards Cadiz on friday night. We arrived at a really nice little hostel called Casa Caracol (the Snail Hostel). The best way to describe the hostel is earthy. It was a real collective hostel with the people working in the hostel also living there as travellers themselves.
Once we woke up on Saturday morning, we decided that it would be great to walk around the city and get a feel for the city right on the ocean. The weather was great and the sun was out in full force. We wandered around the core of the city for a few hours, seeing the historic cathedral and walking the narrow winding streets of the old city. After a few hours of this we were ready for some water. In that case we grabbed our bathing suits and sprinted to the closest beach. What a relaxing time. The sun wasn't too hot and that sand was white and smooth. It couldn't get much better than this. Going into the water was a little colder than expected but laying in the sun for a few minutes really fixed the cold feeling.
Before the beach.

After the beach. 
 It was a very relaxing day all topped off by a platter of fried fish and seafood. The platter we indulged in had to have been some of the best and freshest seafood I have had thus far in my travels. The sentiment was echoed by David, as we must have destroyed the mountain of food in 30 minutes flat!

The next day we saw that there was a day trip heading to a beach about an hour away close to tarifa that is famous for the sand dunes and cristal clear water. So we said why not, and loaded into the van heading to Bolonia Beach. The entire day was filled with Sangria and beach sports/activities. I tried sand boarding for the first time as well. It is identical to snowboarding but just slower and on sand rather than snow.
Approaching a jump, which didn't work at all because it turns out a cooler lid isn't strong enough to be a jump launch!
 Along with the sand boarding, I managed to do some snorkelling right off the beach to see the schools of fish swimming around the rocks in the water. Even in all of this I managed to find some time to relax and take in the whole experience because Cadiz and Bolonia will always have a small place in my heart as one of the best beaches I have yet to visit. The ride back to the hostel was pretty stressful because on the way home we were caught in traffic due to an accident on the highway. Because of this, I almost missed my car pool ride back to Seville (and needless to say the students would not be happy if I missed class on monday morning). Luckily I was only 10 minutes late and thankfully so was my ride! So things worked out and I was able to reflect on the amazing beach time I spent with David in Cadiz. I also had the sand still stuck on me everywhere to help me remember these fond memories!!

Till next week!

Adios,

Mathieu
A scene from the beach, which some prick who got in the way of the nice art!

A picture from the perfect Bolonia Beach. Pristine!

No comments:

Post a Comment